Please take some time and review the following list in case you happen to live in the path of a deadly tornado:
During a Tornado Watch
1. Gather any loose items from your yard and secure them to prevent flying projectiles.
2. Plan your day accordingly to always have an escape route. Do not go to the movies!
3. Stay off the highways, do not EVER stop under an underpass (wind speeds increase and the death toll is always highest in the underpasses)
4. Make sure you have candles, food and bottled water for at least a day or two.
5. Charge your cell phone or run a land line into your shelter.
During a Tornado Warning
1. Close all windows in your house. (leaving one window open a crack to relieve air pressure changes)
2. Gather every person you can into your safe area (bunker/bomb shelter/basement).
3. If you don't have a basement, take your supplies to the inner most room, be it a bathroom or closet.
4. Cover your head with a pillow or wear a helmet.
These are my own personal suggestions. For more information on how to stay safe, please visit the following links for more detailed ideas and advice from people who have been through it as I have:
Tornado Precautions - Chuck Doswell
Tornado Safety Tips - State Farm Insurance
Tornado Safety - Storm Prediction Center
Tornado Safety Tips - News9 Oklahoma
Tornado Safety - Environment Canada
How To Survive A Tornado - The Old Farmers Almanac
How To Survive A Tornado - WikiHow
- Weather Data Links
- Storm Discussion
- LIVE Storm Chase Feeds
- Tornado Fatalities in Saskatchewan 1898 to 1979
- June 1st, 1986 Three Tornadoes Strike Saskatoon's North End
- Education and History
- Storm Chasing/Meteorology/Weather Sites
- Risk Map Archives
- 2012 YEAR OF TORNADOES IN SASKATCHEWAN (video playlist)
- 2004 Photos
- Photos 2003
- Photos 2002